RESEARCH | Staff Reporter, Singapore

Weekly Global News Wrap Up: McDonald's to offer digital ordering at all US stores; Fast food chains reluctant to serve antibiotic-free meat; Panera Bread doubles down on delivery

Here is a summary of the most interesting QSR news stories of the week from around the world.

  • According to a report by CNBC, McDonald's announced that it will have new digital ordering and payment functionality at all 14,000 U.S. McDonald's restaurants by year-end. READ MORE HERE
  • The Independent reported that KFC has partnered with online takeaway service Just Eat to offer deliveries through its app and website from 30 of its branches in Greater London. READ MORE HERE
  • According to the Economist, Japanese fast food chains are being squeezed: by a combination of higher wages and still-tepid consumption, and by foreign rivals winning over more Japanese stomachs. READ MORE HERE
  • Fast food chains have made commitments to remove antibiotics from chicken, but plans to curb the use of antibiotics in beef and pork have been far less common, according to the Chicago Tribune. The chains are largely taking a wait-and-see approach before changing the way their burgers and bacon are made. READ MORE HERE
  • New Zealand fast food chains have fried up a fresh batch of outrage after closing their doors during staff strikes over pay, according to the Daily Mail. Staff from KFC, Pizza Hut, Carl's Jr, and Starbucks across the country picketed stores during the lunchtime rush. READ MORE HERE
  • Science Daily reports that pre-school age children who are exposed to child-targeted fast-food advertising on television are considerably more likely to consume fast-food products, citing a recent Dartmouth-led study published in the journal Public Health Nutrition. READ MORE HERE
  • CNBC reports that Panera Bread is looking to hire 10,000 new employees by the end of the year to expand its delivery services. Some 75 percent of the new hires will be delivery drivers, while the remaining 25 percent will be in-cafe jobs. READ MORE HERE

Do you know more about this story? Contact us anonymously through this link.

Click here to learn about advertising, content sponsorship, events & rountables, custom media solutions, whitepaper writing, sales leads or eDM opportunities with us.

To get a media kit and information on advertising or sponsoring click here.